Monday, May 8, 2017

Judge My Playlist, Volume 4: Future Panic

Jesus! So insufferably blue/gray.
Another week, another playlist…

“Future Panic” came about because I wanted to preserve the post-apocalyptic essence of some of my favorite songs by Gorillaz (no “the,” huh?). I only picked three songs by them in the end, but that’s a lot about me being rigidly democratic on my playlists. In other words, if I’m going to make a playlist, the thing is going to be mixed.

Portland’s very own, The Thermals show up a lot on this one too, but I think the whole thing devolved into just…songs about…I dunno, outer space? Before I got finished with it?

As always, and per the project, let me know what you think if you wanna. Or just enjoy. Or ignore. Free country, and all that....

As always, I set up a playlist for all the above on Spotify, but I figure if they have them, Apple Music, etc. will as well. Links are embedded below for all the songs that didn’t show up on Spotify. And, won’t lie, feel guilty about swiping The Make Up’s (fucking) classic, “Born on the Floor,” because I sense that band is off Spotify for fairly specific reasons. In my defense, I view this as spreading some form of gospel. “Born on the Floor” is fucking genius.

One more thing: the distortion on some of this stuff broke my wife on a recent road trip. You’ve been warned.

Future Panic
1) Born on the Floor – The Make Up
2) Our Happiness Is Guaranteed – Quasi
3) Search & Destroy – Iggy & The Stooges
4) Specify Gravity – Man or Astro-Man
5) An Ear for Baby – The Thermals
6) Kids With Guns – Gorillaz
7) Remote Control – The Beastie Boys (I said vaguely dystopian)
8) Starman – David Bowie
9) Ted, Just Admit It – Jane’s Addiction
10) Dirty Harry – Gorillaz
11) 100 Individual Magnets- Man or Astro-Man
12) (Dawning of a) New Era – The Specials
13) Before the Earth Was Round – OK Go
14) Books About UFOs- Husker Du
15) Eclipse(?) – The Beta Band (look, typed the title in wrong…long back story. Just…good song)
16) An Endless Supply – The Thermals (shit…they have SUCH better songs)
17) Fire Coming Out of the Monkey’s Head – Gorillaz (bad fit; just…like the mythic element)
18) Like Clockwork – The Boomtown Rats
19) “A” Bomb in Wardour Street – The Jam
20) This Is Radio Clash – The Clash (and the sub-rosa motivation for the whole thing)

All for this week. Hope anyone who finds it likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment