Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Judge My Playlist Volume 5: "Light Bulb"


Yeah, what the hell?
Oh, man. This CD came early. I think it’s first inspiration was The Velvet Underground’s “Beginning to See the Light.” And, for the record, I’m now confused all over again about The Velvets, because I picked up Legs McNeil’s and Gillian McCain’s Please Kill Me…by which I mean, I think I just reached the break-point where The Exploding Plastic Inevitable morphed into The Velvet Underground most of us know, and with the idea that, as Ronnie Cutrone put it, “Lou was trying to become commercial.”

And, again, I’m shit for timelines. I have no idea what The Velvets sounded like between 1966 and 1967 – i.e., the period when they functioned as part of The Exploding Plastic Inevitable. It’s just that I’m guessing that “Beginning to See the Light” came after the whole “commercial” thing happened.

Also, I love that freakin’ song. As in, all of it. I can see how “There are problems in these times, but – whoo! – none of them are mine” comes like an anthem to privilege. I see it more as half-Buddhist release. If of the most Western variety.

The overarching thought of what I wound up calling “The Light Bulb” CD grows from that – e.g., the animating logic of the Serenity Prayer – or the opposite thereof, see Janis Joplin’s “Mercedes Benz,” one of your better anthems of fatalism. But isn't that just the flipside of contentment? Call it an homage to the idea that we are, everyone one of us, what we do in the world, and for good or ill.

So, here it is, the playlist…and, whoops, I did want to address something. A couple followed the first playlist in this series and, for starters, flattered. I wanted to keep it easy, so that people could follow the individual playlists, but, thanks to the way Spotify talks to twitter, I kept getting the wrong title/info on my twitter links, and I didn’t want people to get the mistaken impression they’d already heard something when they hadn’t, and goddamn technology. So, yeah, each week, I create a new playlist. Sorry for the inconvenience. Sincerely.

If you like what I’m doing, maybe just follow snackyd on Spotify? OK, now the playlist:

1. The Great Song of Indifference – Bob Geldof
2. !Que Vida! – Love
3. Beyond Belief – Elvis Costelllo
4. Beginning to See the Light – The Velvet Underground
5. I See You Baby – Groove Armada
6. LDN – Lily Allen
7. Daisy Glaze – Big Star
8. Hang On to Yourself – David Bowie
9. Mercedes Benz – Janis Joplin
10. Get It While You Can – The Dirtbombs
11. Long Week – Georgie James
12. Keep Your Head – The Ting Tings
13. Hell Yes – Beck
14. Go-Go Gadget Gospel – Gnarles Barkley
15. O, My Soul – Big Star
16. The Negotiation Limerick File – Beastie Boys
17. Our Happiness Is Guaranteed – Quasi
18. Bodhisattva Vow – Beastie Boys
19. Nobody’s Fault but My Own – Beck
20. Riki Taki Tavi – Donovan
21. I’m Free – The Who
22. Motor Way – Guided By Voices

And, goddammit! A repeat?! Just one playlist apart? (For those who have not been playing along, it’s the Quasi song.) Tighten it the fuck UP, Bull…

And I’ll post something on Spotify soon. And, with that, till the next playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment