Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Judge My Playlist, Volume 7: All 60s, All Good


The fifth image in a Google images search? Seriously?

Dredged up another semi-ancient playlist for those willing to dissect (no takers so far; not really expecting any at this point).

This one’s actually more straightforward than the rest (again, what I’m doing here), because this CD didn’t have to fit a theme. I had to keep my wife occupied during road trips. Long story short, her personal limit for consecutive songs she doesn’t know stops somewhere between six and eight songs, depending on the day, and, as such, I tried to make a CD that she would know all the songs on, and one that wouldn’t make me crazy from boredom/repetition. She knows most of the same songs from the 60s that most people our age know, so, for me, I made some effort to step away from each of the artist’s easiest choices. Not saying I succeeded (again, fight me), but I did have some restrictions (my wife had to know it). And, again, I think all the relevant artists recorded each of the songs in the 60s…the late, late 60s sometimes.

Also, if you notice a couple names popping up more often than you’d expect – say, Elvis Presley – yeah, a lot of this had to do with making sure some of my favorite Elvis tracks made it onto a CD I could hear with some regularity. This was also an attempt to get The Doors the rest of the way out of my system.

OK, songs and rationale for their inclusion below. Again, I was mostly looking for songs just ONE step away from the tediously familiar. And all songs should have been recorded in the 1960s.

All 60s, All Good Playlist
1. All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix
First heard this in Withnail & I (good, if specific movie, btw), so it’s not “Purple Haze,” y’know?

2. Suspicious Minds – Elvis
C’mon, Elvis might be famous for his 50s songs, but this songs beats like his pleading heart!

3. I Am a Rock – Simon and Garfunkel
My wife laughs at this song every time. Every time. Something about hyper-sensitive poetry…

4. She’s Got Everything – The Kinks
The Kinks show they can land pure pop from their era; surprised it doesn’t get more air-play.

5. Mercedes Benz – Janis Joplin
Repeat. Goddammit. I tried not to repeat between CDs ever.

6. In the Ghetto – Elvis
Cheesy, yes, but the man’s using his platform for good. And we’re still talking about the same shit.

7. Break on Through – The Doors
Jim Morrison was a hack poet, but Ray Manzarek wrote solid dirty pop.

8. You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away (live! neat!) – Beatles
My favorite Beatles song. Hands down.

9. Norwegian Wood – Beatles
This song whispered, “John Lennon talked up crazy abusive shit.” Took me years to hear it.

10. A Hazy Shade of Winter – Simon & Garfunkel (and memories...boy, some of those choices...)
I loved these guys. I love this song. But I know self-indulgence and, holy shit, this song!

11. Spirit in the Sky – Norman Greenbaum
That riff. Just that riff. Kudos to the Jesus freaks for hitting it first (or longest).

12. Cecilia – Simon & Garfunkel
I see my dad dancing when I hear this. My dad doesn’t dance much. Says a few things.

13. Bossa Nova Baby – Elvis
A great tribute to the best kind of fast woman. And dig that bossa nova, baby...

14. Lola – The Kinks
This one was for my wife. Love it, but I can barely stand this song anymore.

15. Girl – The Beatles
The inhale. The fuck was that? I laugh every time. #Symmetry

16. Me and Bobby McGee – Janis Joplin
This song will always make me feel young.

17. As Tears Go By – Rolling Stones
An beautiful instance of tone subduing substance. You just have to roll with it.

All right, all done. Thoughts, opinions, praise or brutal assassination: have at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment